Company Limited by Guarantee No: 3745598 registered in England and Wales.  Charity Registration number: 1075753. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority FRN: 617493.
Registered Office: Ashfield Health and Wellbeing Centre, Portland Street, Kirkby in Ashfield Nottinghamshire NG17 7AE   

Privacy and Cookies     

Website © Citizens Advice Ashfield 2018

HomeAbout UsGet helpRecruitmentContact us

Disclaimer and Copyright       

Universal Credit and Christmas Pay

If you are on UC and working and your employer is paying you earlier before Christmas, it may affect your UC entitlement if the early payment means you are paid twice in the same assessment period.

HMRC has sent a memo to employers telling them to put down on their report that the payday is the normal payday e.g. if you are normally paid on 28th but in December you are paid on 20th your employer should report you were paid on 28th. If you are concerned about this we suggest you speak to your employer to make them aware that you could be affected by this. The GIF below explains the problem.

Get help applying for Universal Credit

Help to Claim is a dedicated service from Citizens Advice. It’s free, independent and confidential. Our trained advisers can help with things like how to gather evidence for your application or how to prepare for your work coach appointment.

Call us for free: 0800 144 8 444

Visit us: At our drop in sessions every Monday - Friday 9:30am to 2.00pm or on the mobile Information unit

More information:   

Help to Claim

However you come to our service we’ll start by assessing your individual needs to make sure you can get access to the right level of support, in the way that’s right for you.

Support to start a Universal Credit claim

We will check whether you should be applying for Universal Credit; set up an email address or Universal Credit account, work through claim to-dos; access Universal Credit phone claim service or DWP home visit support

Completing a claim and getting ready for first payment

We will support you through the verify process; help you provide additional evidence; prepare you for the practicalities of a monthly payment; access adaptations such as direct payments to landlords; help you apply for additional financial support

Access to longer term support

Our help to claim service supports you to make your initial Universal Credit claim. We can also support you with other issues in your lives by signposting or referring you to other services - within Citizens Advice or through other organisations.